How to get to Heraklion, Crete
- By air: The airport Nikos Kazantzakis (airport Code: HER) is the only one in Heraklion. Heraklion has about 15 direct flights per day from Athens (ATH), 2-4 direct flights per day from Thessaloniki (SKG), and 3-5 direct flights per week from Amsterdam via Transavia Airlines. During the summer months, there may also be frequent charter flights from many major European cities. Taxi service is provided just outside the airport. There are also a number of car rental companies located in the airport.
- By sea: Heraklion harbour is located close to the city. There are two major shipping companies on the line: Athens-Heraklion. Minoan lines and ANEK lines provide daily service from and towards Crete. There are taxis available as well as buses near the harbour. If you would like to rent a car, you will find a number of rental agencies in the city centre (20 minutes walk or 2 minutes by taxi).
How to get to the conference venue Aldemar Knossos Royal Village in Hersonissos
- By taxi: The most convenient method to get to the conference hotel/venue from all locations (airport/harbour/city centre) is to use a taxi. The ride to Aldemar Knossos Royal Village is about 30 minutes and should cost approximately 35 Euros depending on traffic.
- By car: From the airport/harbour/city centre area, proceed to the highway (follow signs to the National Road). On the highway, head East and follow the signs to Agios Nikolaos and/or Hersonissos.
- By bus: Go to the bus station, which is located very close to the harbour. Take the bus to Hersonissos. Buses run every 30mins between 06:30-23:00. The fare is about 2.5 Euros. The ride is about 45 mins. Once you arrive in Hersonissos, you must take a taxi to the hotel/conference venue.
Aerial Photographs and Maps
- Adelmar Knossos Royal Village Hotel: Google Earth, Google Maps
- Heraklion airport: Google Earth, Google Maps
- Heraklion harbour: Google Earth, Google Maps
- Heraklion bus Station: Google Earth, Google Maps
- Heraklion city centre: Google Earth, Google Maps
Information on Crete
There are many sites on the web with information about all aspects of Crete. If you need additional information, contact the Summer School organizers.